Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thanks for the welcome Whanganui, it's been fun.


This is not a typical post of mine but since this is my blog and it's only read by my Mum and sometimes my husband, I can write whatever I want here. Today I realized that I have become a grumpy old lady. Or at least have the mindset of one. Something happened today that has stuck in my mind and I'm having a hard time letting go of it.

We are visiting family in New Zealand and are having the most wonderful, relaxing, slow holiday. It has been a trip of healing and perspective (more on that some other time). Today we took a trip into Whanganui. If you go to the official website for the city you find this description:

"Whanganui is a place steeped in history, art and culture. Big enough to draw crowds and small enough to be intimate. There is something here for everyone. We are surrounded by mountains, Mount Taranaki, Mount Ruapehu and Mount Tongariro, a beautiful natural landscape, dramatic west coast beaches and unspoilt native bush for tramping and wilderness trips. Our vibrant community prides itself on its parks and reserves, cycle and walk ways and an abundance of creativity. Don’t be surprised to find an immediate sense of connection, an unexpected little slice of heaven, and real New Zealand authenticity. Enjoy our manaakitanga – our legendary hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you to our part of the world."
And you see the beautiful picture:


And it really is that lovely. There are hanging baskets on every lamppost, well manicured lawns, outdoor cafe seating, street performers busking on the corners - it's beautiful and relaxing and we were having a wonderful time browsing the numerous gift stores along the avenue.

However, the day was quickly overshadowed. We stopped to use the public restrooms and upon coming out we were greeted to the sight of two gang members facing off to have it out in the middle of the street, blocking our exit. My mother and I hurriedly pulled back Miss 5 and Miss 2 and hid them in a corner but not before they got to witness one grown man pick up a store sign and hurl it at another grown man and then proceed to pummel and choke him to the ground.

Next to us a young girl whipped out her cellphone and began filming the fight, laughing as if it were some form of entertainment. I told her to call the police and she told me I should do it. I told her I didn't have a phone or I would and she just said, "I don't want to get involved, it's not my problem."

At first I was scared for my children. Who knows what kind of weapons they may or may not have had. But then I was just angry. Angry that it was acceptable for two grown adults to fight out their differences in the middle of the street in the middle of the day. Angry that these two idiots who apparently don't like the way the other did their make-up that morning, decided to pound each other in front of my children. I have no problem with these two morons beating each other silly and removing themselves from the gene pool but please, do not do it in front of my children. Throw your childish temper tantrums elsewhere.

But what kind of society is it in which we live when two grown adults think it is ok to act like animals in the middle of the street in the middle of the day?!? What kind of society is it in which we live when a young woman thinks it is a big joke and makes home movies out of it?!?

Since this incident we have heard about the bad men a lot. My 2 year old clung to my mother because she was "scared of the bad men." "Why were they fighting?" "Why did they want to hurt each other?" Well sweet children, it's because they belong to a super special club and one club doesn't like the other club so if one of them looks at the other the wrong way then they fight. No, it's not very mature but grown-ups can be real morons sometimes.

Oh and you two idiots who think you're so big and bad, tonight my five year old prayed that the police would find you and help you to make better choices. Have a good life.

-C

(PS: I know that gang issues are really complicated and the issue of whether or not people should get involved is even more complicated but that is another topic for another day. Tonight I am just a frustrated and mad mum who needed a good vent. Peace.)

3 comments:

  1. So sad, bless their little hearts. And ps, I read your blog every time you post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...well between you and my mum that makes me almost "viral". Ha!

      Delete

Leave me a message after the beep....BEEEP!